Friday, August 29, 2008

Totally Blog Worthy

If you've ever met David, you know that the word shy doesn't even begin to cut it when describing this kid. He clings to Jason or I for dear life anytime we go somewhere, even if he's been there many, many times. It takes him a good 20-30 minutes to warm up at places he's been before, and probably about an hour or more at new places. He won't talk to anyone new (especially people at check-out counters) and will barely speak to people he knows really well! This week was David's first time at mother's morning out. Tuesday was open house and he sat in my lap the entire time and didn't say a word. To say I was nervous about his first day on Thursday was an understatement! I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. Jason really wanted to take him to "school" on his first day so I gladly let him take over that responsibility as I knew he'd do much better than me! The school's policy on inconsolable children is that they will give them 30 minutes to calm down and after that they will call the parents to come pick them up. I fully expected to get a call, but to my surprise he made it the entire day!!!! Jason said the drop-off went about like I expected but he waited at the end of the hall for a few minutes and when he couldn't hear him crying anymore he left for work. 3 hours later it was time for me to pick him up. David didn't see me or hear me call his name at first when I got there so I was able to watch him in action. He was helping pick up by scooting chairs back into place-SO CUTE! He was excited to see me and I was beyond thrilled that he made it all day and that he did so well! David even brought home what is now our first piece of refrigerator artwork. From the looks of it though, the teachers did most of the work ; )


Here's what I did with my "free time". I got to blog the previous post, do a load of laundry, hold Wesley for a long time talking/cooing/reading to him, and play ball with Charlie! I know Wesley was especially appreciative to have his mommy all to himself and a quiet house for just a few hours ; ) Now, I'm praying it goes just as well on Tuesday!

*A special thanks to Jason's mom aka Grandma for David's backpack. She wanted David to have a UGA backpack and she looked all over Athens and the Internet and would you believe there just isn't a UGA toddler backpack? She decided to get innovative and buy a toddler backpack and turn it UGA herself. I must say she did a pretty good job!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

god, that looks like one of miss erin's crafts!! those teachers of david's seem like me in their desire for the kids not to do the crafts themselves! haha! i love it!

great pictures, girl. i am so glad david had a great first day and that you and wesley got some good alone time! you are such a great mommy!!

Katie formally of CuppaJ

Becky said...

That's great! I hope all his days go as well. I must say I'm glad Ben's school doesn't have the same policy. He came home with no voice after his first day from all the screaming. Thankfully, it has gotten better!!!

Lauren said...

Yay, David!!! Glad he did okay. I'm glad you had nice mommy and Wesley time!

MBKimmy said...

Awesome! Way to go! I am glad he made it the whole day ... I hope it continues to go well!

Dallas said...

that's great about david's first day! sutton's personality mirrors david's, and i will tell you that "school" has done her a world of good. she's still naturally shy, but she warms up much quicker and will even start talking to kids on her own now. she doesn't talk to adults, thank goodness, but she'll walk up to kids on the playground and ask them to play.

Melanie said...

How great! What a big boy he is getting to be! Kids always have a tendency to surprise us parents that is for sure. David looked so cute with his cool Dawg backpack!

Tara said...

I loev the art work. Go David on staying in school! I hope you're doing good! Have a great holiday weekend!

Goodrow Gang said...

We are so proud of David! Such a big boy. Congrats on the little bit of "freetime".