Friday, January 09, 2009

Testing 1, 2, 3

I'll explain my recent absence on the blog in a minute but first some good news. David had his ENT appointment this week. The Doctor's recommendation: NO TUBES! Whoohoo!

Above is a picture I took from our driveway on Wednesday afternoon. I couldn't help but think that if there was ever a visual image of what my week has been, this would be it! I've been lamenting over this post for a few days now trying to figure out exactly what to say. Forgive me if is a bit broken up or hard to understand...

In my sick kids post, remember me mentioning that I didn't feel that great myself? About the time Wesley was diagnosed with RSV, I also had a bad cough/chest congestion as well as a sore throat. I went to my regular doctor who told me I had a sinus infection (no big surprise there-I've betting getting them about every two months). She told me to take an OTC decongestant, drink plenty of fluids, and get lots of rest (that's almost laughable to me as a stay at home mom).

Later that week I called back to tell her it had moved into my chest and I was wheezing a good bit. With that she prescribed an inhaler and an antibiotic. I felt like I was getting better but I still had a lingering cough as well as bad headaches and some flu like aches and chills.

Another week passed and my right knee started bothering me. At first it felt like I "tweaked" it the wrong way, but then it started swelling and causing me a great deal of pain. I finally decided I needed to see an orthopedist about it. I was going to call the next day until I noticed my forehead was swollen. I thought maybe both areas of swelling could be related. It was a Sunday evening and Jason was home from work so I figured I would try to take care of it that night so he wouldn't have to take any time off of work. The closest walk-in clinic was already closed for the evening so I went to the ER. The doctor did not think the swelling in my head and knee were related. Instead he focused on my head and ordered a CT scan. I was informed that I had sinusitis in my head and I was told to see an orthopedist about my knee. I was sent home with an antibiotic.
A few days later I finally went to see an orthopedist about my knee. He told me I had probably just overused my right knee (carrying kids up and down stairs etc.) and overcompensated for my left knee (which I have had two previous surgeries on and tend to favor). It was at that appointment that I noticed my right ankle was also swollen.

Then next day I noticed both my feet, ankles, and hands were swollen. On New Year's day I tried to go to the walk-in clinic once again, only to find them closed. This time instead of going to the ER I decided to wait until the next day to go back to my regular doctor's office. By chance I saw a different doctor this time who ordered some tests. The problem pointed to my kidneys but further testing needed to be done. Over this past week I performed a myriad of tests and waited for the results to come back.

With my files and test results in hand, I saw a nephrologist today only to find out he wanted to repeat all of the testing done by my primary care physician! Its very frustrating waiting for all of this to pan out, but I know I am finally in the right hands and exactly where I need to be. Hopefully I will finally get some answers next week.

Anyway...this is all the reason for my absence on the blog lately. I hope my blogger buds will understand my lack of commenting as well. Earlier this week while filling out paperwork at a doctor's office I had to laugh at one of questions I was to answer- "What are your hobbies/favorite activities?" Jason said I should put down, going to the doctor, but I decided just to leave it blank ; )

13 comments:

Tara said...

I'm praying for you and hope everything is resolved soon. ((Hugs!))

Becky said...

I know it is serious but it sounds like you must be completely puffed up by now!!! I really hope that's not the case. I *REALLY* hope they figure it out SOON so all your stormy clouds can go away. :(

btw, in that pic, the bottom clouds almost look like snow-capped mountains. It's like you're living in Montana or something!

Dallas said...

oh, andrea, that all sounds yucky. i'm sorry it's happening, but i hope they figure it out soon.

Julie Tiemann said...

Oh Andrea, I'm so sorry... I know it's scary to not know what your body is doing. I'm praying you'll get answers soon and there will be an easy fix!

It's a beautiful photo, even if the meaning is kinda sad. ;)

Kelly G said...

Andrea, that picture is beautiful!!! Perhaps I'll print it out and blow it up to put in a frame over my computer:o) Your medical issues have me completely baffled but I'll definitely send prayers up on your behalf! You were smart to go to the doctor..even if you thought it was something minor. Please keep us updated. And YAEE for Wesley!!!

The Partins said...

So the worst thing you could do is search on-line... but...

http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/cosymptoms/flu-like-symptoms/swelling-symptoms-desc.htm

Hope they figure out what is going on soon!!!

Amanda said...

Girl, I just read your post and am SO worried about you! I am praying for you -- this sounds really weird and really serious! On a side note, I am glad David got a good report from the ENT. They gave Davis a good report before his tubes, but I opted to go ahead and have them put in for his sake -- no ear infections since he was 17 months old! They have been out for a while now and we are still in the clear! I better run and find some wood to knock on!

Anonymous said...

Oh my Andrea! I know that you have been worried sick. It probably makes you feel much better just knowing that you may find out the cause of your symptoms. You will be in my prayers and I am sure that the sun is about ready to break through all of those clouds!!!

ps. keep us updated

Anonymous said...

ooops.. I mean YAEE for David!!

Kelly G :)

Beckman Bulletin said...

We are praying you get answers soon. Love the picture. Take care.

Matt, Christy, Drew, and Natalie said...

Hang in there, girl! We have been praying for you. Drew even asked during his prayers the other night, "Is Miss Andrea still sick?" Let us know if you need anything!

Katy S. said...

Prayers...

Anonymous said...

Andrea, Just want to let you know your in my thoughts and prayers. Chris (Katie's Mom)