Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Oma's Birthday Post...Finally!

So blogger wouldn't let me post anything yesterday and I was quite frustrated as Sunday was my mom's birthday (and I was anxious to post about it). We celebrated with Lunch at the Evergreen on Saturday. When the waitress came by and asked if this was our first time eating there, the conversation that followed went like this:
Me: No, I've never been here before.
Dad: "Yes you have! Don't you remember..."
Me: "How old was I?"
Deja Vu all over again. I swear we have this same conversation at least once a year (with different locations of course) but that's neither here nor there ; ) Moving on to Sunday...Oma and Pop made a special visit out to see us. Jason thought it would be a good time to bring out the jeep again...
David was so happy his feet finally reach the pedals.

Here he is tuning in Larry Munson

No concept whatsoever of CB radios...one day his daddy will show him "Smokey and the Bandit" or "The Dukes of Hazzard" and then he may understand.
The Birthday Girl

Birthdays have always been special to me and it sure was nice to spend my Mom's with her on the actual day. I don't think I ever truly came to appreciate the woman she is until I became a mother myself. Having been a nurse for 30+ years (and still going strong) she sacrificed so much for my sister and I, being a working mother. She worked nights and weekends for many years so my sister and I wouldn't have to go to daycare. She would cook, clean, iron, drive us to gymnastics practices and meets, and most importantly she would love, love, love. She always bought for us before she would buy for herself; she was always happy with what she already had and still to this day embodies the phrase "waste not, want not". She has a humble heart and would never think its true, but few women in this world will ever do it as good as she did-I know I won't! It is with great joy that I watch her now with my son and re-live some of my own childhood memories. I happily wait in anticipation of the day she can retire and be a full-time Grandma. Happy Birthday Mom. I love you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea that was so beautiful. Your mom is a very special lady and you and your family are certainly blessed to have her in your lives. Cherish every moment. Happy Birthday.

MBKimmy said...

Happy Birthday to Oma!

Anonymous said...

Awwww....how sweet. I am glad that your got to spend your mom's birthday with her. She sounds like a very special lady. Happy Birthday Oma!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Oma!! I'll never forget how sweet she was to check my problem that i had. remember? i mean, i know she's a nurse and all, but still. it was real nice of her. okay, this just sounds weird. but when i think of Oma that's what i think of.

you are blessed to have her, andrea. i wish her many blessings and much love this day and always!

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooo much for the kind words, Andrea. I can think of no better way to celebrate my birthday than with my kids (spouses inclued) and grand kids.
I truly had a SPECIAL birthday.

Tara said...

Happy Birthday, Oma! You mom has always been so kind and sweet. I'm glad you all were able to share her birthday together.