Thursday, March 12, 2009

Reflection

A teacher from David's school passed away suddenly this week. From what I understand, she had the flu which very quickly developed into pneumonia and for reasons unknown to me, her immune system was already compromised, and she was unable to fight off the virus/infection. It started over the weekend. She went to the doctor on Tuesday and was immediately rushed to the hospital where she died that night. She is survived by her husband, Andy, and two elementary school aged children, Luke and Isabella, whom I am asking for prayers for.

Sandy was not one of David's teachers, but I did meet her last year when I observed her class with David one day. I came to check it out and relieve my concerns about germs and discipline. Unfortunately while I was there, one little boy bit another little boy. Neither the teachers, nor I saw what happened, but Sandy was the first one to get to the little boy who was crying. He lifted up his finger and Sandy could see bite marks. Next she went to the boy who did the biting and explained to him that what he did was wrong that it hurt and he needed to apologize. When the little boy refused to cooperate, she took his hand and made him say "I'm sorry" in sign language. (He also went to a "time out" with the school's director as that is their policy on such behavior.) Sandy taught me a great technique that day which I have used on David recently. Sometimes David is so shy he won't say "thank you" when things are given to him. I have taught him how to say it in sign language and I have tried to explain to him that its okay to be shy, but manners always come first. Thank you for that lesson Sandy.

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Andrea, this family will be in my prayers. What a tragedy it is for two young children and a husband to loose such a caring wife/mother; but what a great relief that goodbyes are not forever. Thanks for sharing that wonderful story about David, too. Hope you're doing well!

Tara said...

That's a very positive story.. glad you shared. I'm also thankful to hear your minimal change disease is in remission! Stay strong. Hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

That family will be in my prayrs. We use sign language too. Morgan uses it a lot when she knows that she has done something wrong and isn't proud of it.

Goodrow Gang said...

Such sad news for the family. Loads of prayers being lifted for this family.

Amanda said...

Wow! This breaks my heart! But what a GREAT story! I use some sign language with Marleigh -- it is great to have an alternative way to communicate when words aren't possible. I am very upset that American Sign Language is not recognized as true language! I wrote a great paper on this in my first class of my ESOL endorsement. I will be praying for this precious family! So happy to hear you are doing well!