Saturday, February 07, 2009

Back To Reality

Friday I had a follow-up appointment with my nephrologist. It was quite a sobering experience. I'm not sure I fully understood how bad it had gotten when I was in the hospital. The doctor said I actually went into acute renal failure and two other major organs-my liver and heart were starting to stress as well. I mean, I knew I was in bad shape and had a pretty good idea of what was going on, but I think I just finally realized how bad it really was! I have lost 20+ lbs of fluid since leaving the hospital. It is so strange to me that I could fluctuate that much in weight so quickly. What a disease! Like I said before...minimal change? What is with that name?


We finally made it home yesterday. I am happy to be alive and at home with my family. I'm trying hard not to get too overwhelmed too quickly. My body physically won't let me overdo it (just taking a shower is so very tiring right now) but my mind is all over the place. Jason has me trained to only plan the next 12 hrs of each day and that really helps me to not get too stressed out. Jason and my mom have been amazing. They still work tirelessly to ensure my every need is met. My mom has been trying to recover from surgery herself since December and finally had to go back to work on Friday. She came out here today though and took me grocery shopping since my diet is so restricted. Most of my all time favorite meals are no good for me now, but it helps that I do like a variety of foods. Jason is so tired from commuting from work, home, hospital, kids drop-off, kids pick-up, the never-ending list of store errands, bills, dogs, etc. etc. etc. He keeps pushing through it though. Boy did I do something right when I married him.

Wesley has actually been a real trooper through all of this. He now takes a bottle with ease. He is quite a socialized little boy. When David was this age, he was already very wary of anyone new holding him. Wesley doesn't care who holds him as long as he gets some attention! David probably needs the most prayers of all of us. He is such a sensitive little boy. His security blanket was ripped out from under him this past month. Any change in schedule really affects him and there has been no regularity to his days as of late. I am hoping a little extra TLC at home will help him get back to his usual self.

I'll leave you with two pictures of the kids that were hanging up in my hospital room which were my constant motivation to get better!

11 comments:

Becky said...

Such precious pictures!!! I am glad you're home and on your way to recovery. I'll keep you in my prayers, and hope to talk soon. :)

Julie Tiemann said...

Oh wow, Andrea. It's probably good you didn't know how bad things were... But we're all SO glad that things are better now. Take care off yourself and don't try to be supermom right away. Remember you can't take care of those precious boys if you're not well - so take care of yourself first! I'm so glad you've got such a wonderful support in your husband - makes all the difference! Take care!

Melanie said...

That is definitely some motivation to get better! I am glad that you are at home with all your boys Andrea. Remember to take it easy and take care of yourself!

Kelly G said...

Andrea,
I am so thankful that you are on the road to recovery. Those pictures of your boys would inspire me to keep going too..they are so precious. Take care of yourself and take this time to count your blessings and be thankful for the little things.

You guys are in our prayers!
Love,
Kelly G

Lauren said...

I'm glad you are starting to feel a little more like you. Probably will never fell 100% again, though. Very cute pics! And I think Avery and Evan were that way too--Avery would never let anyone else hold her, and Evan was a little more social---not so much anymore. :)

Beckman Bulletin said...

Glad you are home. Please call if you need anything. The family is in our prayers, especially that swwet boy David.

Anonymous said...

We are so glad you are back home and on the road to recovery. I'm sure you are all exhausted and we will be happy to help out!

The Partins said...

LOVE the pictures and so glad you are on the mend!

Tara said...

So glad that you are home and on the road to recovery. The pictures are simply adorable. Many prayers for your continued healing and recovery.

Goodrow Gang said...

Home again Home again..jiggedy jig! So glad you are home and totally understand the "take it one day at a time" mentality. You can do it b/c you have such a fabulous husband that supports you through it all...and you are not to shabby yourself!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery! Those boys adore you, so do not over do it. Just relax and enjoy life!