Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Sionara To Salt

Well, I am finally out of the hospital, and in the words of my nephrologist "You don't mess around. When you get sick, you get sick!" After 12 days, 2 X-RAY's, 2 EKG's, 2 ultrasounds, one biopsy (not to mention all sorts of other fun small tests and lots and lots of medication) later...I'd have to agree with him!

I am nowhere near back to 100% yet, but I think I have finally "turned the corner" on the road to recovery. I still have 15-20lbs extra fluid from swelling on my body right now. Its crazy to be "blown up" and yet dehydrated at the same time. My fluid intake and outtake is strictly monitored. I am currently only allotted 2000 mg of sodium-that's only one teaspoon of salt per day!!!!! So it is only freshly prepared meals at home for me for a while. Fortunate am I that my parents are both wonderful cooks who have already been so creative to add variety and some taste to my diet! I have a follow-up appointment on Friday with my nephrologist and I am hoping to learn a lot more about adult minimal change disease and how this will affect my life from here on out. Although I have my theories about how I actually contracted this disease, I will truly never know for the sure. What I do know is that I will be on a combination of steroids/immuno-suppressive medications for at least six months.

But, Enough about me...I have some serious thank-yous in order. First off to Jason and my mom who have been by my side every moment possible. I'm absolutely positive I wouldn't be here right now if it hadn't been for their foresight and intervention into my medical care. I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to the Goodrow Gang for taking in their Godson Wesley and making sure his every need was met. Julie even accomplished the impossible task of getting Wesley to take a bottle! To my personal "maid brigade" who came in between my two hospital stays to clean my house! I'll never forget waking up and asking my mom who was there and her telling me "Julie, Becky, and Amanda. They came to clean the house. They wanted to help so we let them." What amazing friends I have! Becky also brought us a meal that day which not only tasted delicious it was made with her special brand of love. We also had two meals brought over from our friends the Simmon's which were sooo appreciated. Amanda, my dad, and Jason's mom have taken turns watching David. This is no small feet for any of them, especially Amanda who not only has her two year old Lana to watch-she is pregnant with her second daughter and due in May! For Matt and Christy, Clint and Mandy, Joel and Julie, Becky and Jason, Priscilla and Steve for visiting me at Emory. I said it before, and I'll say it again-"it was truly chicken soup, er, em bulldog brew for the soul". For Becky's dad affectionately named "Papa" by his grandchildren who brought me communion on Sunday-what a gift! To my sister who has been watching Charlie Dawg for us. To my friends/blog buddies who sent an edible arrangement to me-I felt so loved! And last but not least all those who have been calling, texting, and praying for me and my family continually! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Words truly can't express how humbled and grateful I am. Once again, continued prayers are appreciated for my quick and full recovery!

14 comments:

Amanda said...

Girl you are so incredible. In the midst of this huge battles you are first and foremost concern with everybody else! I love you so much, and I am praying for complete healing! Your "FAVORITE" roomie!

Stephanie said...

Andrea, I cannot believe what you have been going through and how positive you are, at the same time!!! You have SO been in my thoughts and I really hope that a miracle happens and your recovery is immediate... God is great, it could happen!!! Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you and your family.

The Partins said...

I'm so glad yu are home and on the path to recovery!!!

The Sims Family said...

Andrea: I am so glad you are home and on the road to beating this whole mess! I have been getting updates from Christy and Matt along the way and have said many prayers for you...I wish I was closer to help in the physical sense, but I am so glad you have been blessed with so many people to help out! I hope you continue in a positive (and quick!!) direction!! Take care!!!

Goodrow Gang said...

Andrea...no thanks ever necessary! Watching Wesley was such a joy! We miss our Godson! Elena asks about him everyday.
Hugs to you and to your amazing family. You all handled things beautifully. Your husband is one fine man! God knew what he was doing when he brought that one into your life.

Julie Tiemann said...

Oh, I'm so glad you're home! I can't even imagine what things have been like for you! Thank God you have such an amazing family and also friends who love you so much!

Take care of yourself, friend, and keep us posted!

(And I'm really sorry about the salt. I would have a hard time with that myself...)

Sarah said...

We are praying for your fast and full recovery!!

Becky said...

The great thing about salt is that the less you consume, the less you crave. I'm sure you'll adjust quickly and be that much healthier as a bonus!!! Take good care of yourself...glad you're home. :)

Tara said...

So glad to hear that you are home and doing so well. I can only imagine how positive you've remained. I remember talking to you while you were still getting tests and you are quite the example of a positive attitute contributing to healing.

I'm also so glad to hear that so many people have been there to help you all out. You deserve only the best! I hope you continue to get better and you remain in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Andrea. I am sure your 2 boys were thrilled to see you. Continue to rest and take your time in recovering. Again, I offer any assistance if you want it. Love and prayers, Chris

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Andrea, you made it home! I hope that your recovery goes well. I really admire how positive you have been through all of this, goodness knows it has been hard for you. I like others wish that I lived closer to help you out but you and your family remain in my prayers!

Dallas said...

andrea, i'm so glad that you're finally home. sorry to hear that you feel like a giant marshmallow though. hope things only get better from here on out.

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I am so glad you are home and I hope that you are continuing to recover well. I hate that you had to go through all of that - as I said before if there is anything I can do to help just let me know! Jessica

MBKimmy said...

WOW I am amazed at all you have been through I will continue to pray for you and all of them that are helping and have helped!

Speedy recovery!