Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Conservationist of the Year, Man of the Century


Last night my father-in-law Dan was awarded the 2006 Chip Allen Conservationist of the Year Award (he is the first ever recipient). My only regret is that this great honor has come after his passing. Dan had a very successful career with Ducks Unlimited as the first regional director in the southeast. During his 32 years of service he was responsible for starting 300 chapters and preserving over 100,000 acres of wildlife habitat. He was the longest serving employee of Ducks Unlimited, an organization that has been around 70 years. Dan was truly a unique individual; humble, caring, and witty. He never met a stranger. He was dedicated to his career, family, and friends. Those who were aquainted with him are better people today having known him...we miss you Dan.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

We have too much in common girl! :) He sounds like such a great man...I'm sure your hubby is like him (as my hubby is like his father as well).

That is so honorable of him!

Becky said...

Wow...what an amazing legacy!

Tara said...

That's fantastic and touching! All of you look great in the pictures.

Amanda said...

That is incredibly sweet, Andrea! I wish I could have known Uncle Dan--I know he was an incredible man:) I got ya'lls thank you note and I wanted to let you know I'd love to have lunch some Tuesday!!! We will definetly have to set it up!

Anonymous said...

Andrea,

This is a very nice tribute to Dan. He was someone I always looked up to. Jason and I are blessed to have had great fathers and role models as we grew up. Even today I strive to be the kind of father my dad was to me and the kind of father Dan was to Jason.

Matt