Thursday, September 21, 2006

I took it for Granite


Due to my stomach virus and the well woes (fixed temporarily, but the story is to be continued) we had to spend a few days with Jason's mom (thank you so much Pat). We were all feeling a little cooped up so once I felt well enough to eat again Granny, David, Papa John, and I went to Stone Mountain Park. We had a nice meal at the commons and then took a short stroll outside. I took this picture of a replica of the mountain's carving inside one of the museums. Time for this blog to get educational. Did you know that the horses have names? I had no idea they were carvings of actual war horses! L-R Jefferson Davis is atop his horse "Blackjack", Robert E. Lee is atop his horse "Traveller", and "Stonewall" Jackson is atop his horse "Little Sorrel" aka "Fancy". I also learned that the parks covered bridge used to be located at/near the University of Georgia, but was bought and moved to the park. Who knew? I guess I took stone mountain for granite.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Interesting! Funny how things like that didn't interest me in school but now I like to have neat info like that available. I thought about ya today as I'm getting my appetite back as well....but I know you had it worse than me; hate those stomach viruses. UGH!

Becky said...

Hehe..funny pun. Did you know that the Cobb House at Stone Mountain Park was originally the rectory at Saint Joseph's Church in Athens? It became uninhabitable and was scheduled to be torn down, but the park could not stand to let such a historic building be destroyed so they took it down in four huge pieces and transported it to Stone Mtn. I remember it very well!

Becky said...

Wow! I just read that they're moving it back to Athens! You can read about it here:

http://www.trrcobbhouse.org/househistory.asp

Tara said...

You really do learn something new everyday. I didn't know the horses had names either and I think I've been there at least once every year since before I can remember. I hope you're getting better and that the well woes are all resolved soon!

Amanda said...

Lol! I love that you love puns like that too:) That is very interesting...I knew the horses had names but I couldn't remember all of them. I wonder if they sell some kind of nice replicas of that carving. Anyways, I'm glad you are feeling better. Are ya'll coming to the game tomorrow???? Please let me know b/c we would love to catch up with ya'll!

Bethany said...

Aren't you cute with your pun on words.