Wednesday, November 29, 2006

One Of Those Days

David was in need of a "professional" haircut and I wanted to go somewhere that specialized in kids cuts since I wasn't exactly sure how it would go and they usually have lots of neat and fun distractions. The only one place I knew of was about an hour away so I asked my sister if she would like to come with me and get my nephew's hair cut at the same time today. Ben is an old pro at this and picked out the "car" he wanted to sit in right away. As I sat David down in his "tractor" seat and began to strap him in he immediately began wailing in discontent. I told him that we were not at the doctor, he was not getting a shot, and this was not going to hurt. He only cried louder and harder at my constant reassurance that everything was okay. Ben asked my sister "why is David crying?" and was content to sit still as he watched t.v. The hair stylist kept trying to distract him but he responded by throwing his head back and forth making it all the more difficult to cut his hair. It probably only took 15 minutes, but it seemed like hours. I apologized profusely and I am still so embarassed that I'm not sure if I will ever go back. The girl did make me feel a little better by telling me that at least he didn't bite her and that she has been bit by children before (thank you God for sparing me that). We ate lunch right afterwards and David was less than happy the entire time but luckily the weather allowed us to sit outside and eat. Hopefully the people inside were not bothered by his tantrum. I'm pretty sure the other people sitting outside don't want kids anymore. I had planned on going to a few stores after lunch, but of course that did not happen. Since I was only a short drive from my mother-in-law's house I decided to stop there in hopes that David could get a nice long nap before we drove home. He refused to fall asleep so an hour later I drove home...

5 comments:

Becky said...

Ahhh, kids! I hate the haircuts so much that I started making Luke and his dad take Patrick when they went to get theirs cut! Spare me the drama!!!!
Now the girl who cuts Luke's hair lives up the street from us, so she just brings her clippers home and goes to town on them all! It's easier...maybe because the kids are in comfy surroundings?

Amanda said...

Joe cuts our boys' hair. We never know if they will be receptive and sit there quietly or end it with a major tantrum. I'd like to find a kids' salon around here. I've looked but can't find an address/phone number for one in our area.

Restaurant outings are disastrous for us about 70% of the time. It's always so embarrassing - especially when older people look at you as if THEIR kids never did such a thing.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry it didn't go well, but I bet that girl has lots of experience with kids who are nervous or scared. I actually feel for David because I hate to get my hair cut too! Hence the manicure scissors and the mirror... ;o) And speaking as someone who doesn't have kids, I promise some of the people in the restaurant felt sympathetic (or relieved their kids were older/grown!).
Laura P.

Bethany said...

Oh how I long for the day that Olivia will have hair to cut! ;o)

I'm sorry it was so bothersome to you, but I promise, there are kids who do much worse. Just know, in the grand scheme of things, he'll forget about the experience and so will you. Perhaps one of his grandmothers could cut his hair. That's what my mom always had to do with my brother.

Amanda said...

Wow - sounds like a typical day in my life! Davis cried at his second haircut - so last week I went back to the Jon Ric kids salon- Davis fit your description of David to a tee! I don't know how she managed to do as well as she did! She just had to keep him in a headlock! Nice!!! :)