Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Our Christmas Story

Last year during the Christmas season I was preparing for surgery since I hadn't recovered from childbirth three months prior. Even though it was a minor surgery, it had the possibility of some major complications, which had me pretty worried. I remember telling Jason that all I wanted for Christmas was to be healthy and pain free. My prayers were answered and on January 13th (a Friday I might add) I was successfully operated on, and I have not had a problem since.


This year, as always, I had high hopes for the "perfect" Christmas. As usual, God had other plans. Most of you know that we've been having well "issues" which began shortly after we moved in our new house in May. This year, I found myself asking for water for Christmas. Jason finally found a well company who was willing to take up our cause, and on the afternoon of December 21st they began drilling a new well. The next day it rained but they were able to get in another half day's worth of work. They would have the next few days off, but promised to come back the day after Christmas. Jason said "This is good. Since Christmas falls on a Monday this year, we will go to church for the next two days and pray for water." ( I should also add that Christmas Eve morning my sister called to tell me my nephew was sick and she, Drew, and Ben might not be able to see us over the holidays. As disappointed as I was, I didn't want it to end up like it did 3 years ago when we all got a stomach virus. After phone calls back and forth to my mom for motherly/nursing advice we decided Drew would watch Ben at home and Lara would come to the family celebration.) After going to Christmas Eve mass we headed to Granny's house for her gathering. We had a lovely time eating and opening presents with my parents, Carol (David's Godmother), and Granny of course. That night I thought my camera died and I would have no pictures this year. I had just put new batteries in and the camera kept flashing "battery exhausted". Christmas Day we headed to my parents to meet up with my sister, eat, and open presents. Upon arrival I quickly searched for some other new batteries and found they worked so I was able to capture a few good pictures...

Jason and David at Granny's on Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day- David playing with my parents toy golf set- I must say he looks like a natural.

David and I in front of my parent's tree.

David petting his rocking horse-a Christmas present from Granny.


Originally we planned to drive home yesterday evening, but after exhausting ourselves by eating way too much, and visiting with our families, we decided to stay one more night to rest. This morning we lingered just a little longer before packing up and heading home all the while holding our breath to see what the well company had to say. We had jokingly been singing Noel, (No well) but today, however, we are singing hallelujah chorus (this link works better if you turn on the speakers to your computer). After months of conserving water by only running the dishwasher once a week, taking quick military style showers/baths in two inches of water, flushing the toilet only when absolutely needed, doing laundry at our families houses, and still running out of water every week-we never have to worry again! They hit water-over 100 gallons a minute! Praise God!


I have come to the conclusion that the best Christmas gifts are the kind that can't be wrapped, but we will still be hoping for a uneventful Christmas next year!


Merry Christmas from our family to yours!

8 comments:

Becky said...

Thank God! You're right...that is the best Christmas gift you guys could get!

Becky said...

P.S. Take a loooong hot shower tonight!

Amanda said...

Girl soak in that tub for hours on end! I don't know how you do it! I take at least two piping hot baths a day!!! Take a long every time D goes down for a nap! I think Friday would be best for me - but Thurs. might be doable. . .What are your thoughts?

Amanda said...

Bless your heart....that had to be a horrible situation.

I didn't know that you had surgery...that is the most excruciating pain, isn't it? I cried leading up to mine even though I knew there would be pain relief in the long run. I'll pass out if they ever tell me I need surgery again!

Anyway, Merry Christmas...funny how our basic things can be the best gifts! ;)

Anonymous said...

How weird is it that we both had the same kind of surgery on the same date-Jan.13? you, fortunately, faired much better than me.....mine failed! such is life.

Amanda said...

How funny that you both had a violating surgery on my birthday!!! Now I feel bad for enjoying my day!!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

yeah, ain't it a pain in the ass, amanda? literally! haha!!

Bethany said...

Call me emotional and pregnant, but I'm all choked up at your Christmas Story. Praise God that you got what you prayed for!!! I'm so glad that you guys are finally past this...and I have to agree with you, getting a gift like that makes you realize that the most precious things in life can't be bought, wrapped, or put under a tree - just put in the hands of God!! So happy for you all.