Sunday, September 16, 2007

Book Reviews

Much like mushrooms were an acquired taste for me (I didn't like them as a child, but now I love them), reading books has become an acquired favorite pastime of mine. In school I didn't like being told what to read and when to read it. Now that I can pick and choose what I want to read, and the pace I read it at, I'm a happy girl...

So... I'm probably the last person in a free world to read this book (I haven't seen the movie either). It stayed on The New York Times bestseller list for four years (those were the years I was being forced to read books I wasn't so fond of such as Lord of the Flies). I had no idea what Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was about exactly, but I did know it was set in Savannah, Georgia. Most of you know we used to live in Statesboro. Being that "the Boro" is not exactly a booming metropolis, and Savannah was only 40 minutes away, we spent a lot of time there. The first thing that fascinated me about this book is that it is nonfiction. I love reading about things that actually happened. The second thing that was amazing to me is that I recognized some of the people in the book; Sonny Siler , for example because of his ownership of Uga, Georgia's mascot, but others I knew just from the familiarity of common last names in that area. I loved that I knew of almost every site the author mentions down to the street name. There were also things I didn't know-most of it being about Savannah's history (and some Georgia history for that matter). The third thing I enjoyed about the book was how every thing, every line, every last detail, had a purpose in the book. It really helps if you have a good memory as the book is almost 400 pages and there were things from the very beginning that came full circle in the end. A great read indeed. I highly recommend it.

Now I'm off to start reading a science fiction book Jason's first cousin wrote that will supposedly also have an up and coming movie based on it...



His style has been described as Dan Brown meets Michael Crichton...should be interesting!

8 comments:

Caron said...

It's so funny that you brought up Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil... I was just talking about that movie yesterday! I asked Michel a question about from it and he didn't know because he's never seen it. Finding a movie he has not seen is huge because he's seen everything!!! Glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

Midnite is great. good read. I have never heard of the other book. i may check it out. i am just like you about reading. but i do love to get lost in a great book.

Becky said...

I have also never read that book, so apparently, I'm the last person. I'm also the only person in the south who hasn't ever been to Savannah, I think. I know. It kills me. I want to go so badly.

I used to hate mushrooms too, until my friend Nancy Williams made me try some on my pizza. She changed my life, good old Nancy!!! Her dad owned Charlie Williams restaurant in Athens.

Andrea said...

Becky-your anniversary is coming up! I think you and Luke need a weekend getaway to Savannah ; )

Andrea said...

p.s.- I'll let you borrow my copy. I think you'd like it.

Tara said...

Becky - you aren't the last. I probably am or will be. I haven't read it either. I have been to Savannah once but it wasn't too much of a vacation... it was for my cousin to get married. I'd like to go back someday.

MBKimmy said...

I am in line to be the last too and with a 3 month old in the house it will be years ... or at least it feels like it will be years ahah

Chris said...

I never read it either. It's on my ever growing list. Yeah, a book...wow. Can't remember that one.