Tuesday, January 09, 2007

My Lifelong Friend


Meet Laura aka Esmerelda-one of my all time greatest friends. We met 10 years ago (I feel old now) as freshmen at North Georgia College and State University and Senior Military College of Georgia (try saying that three times fast). She kept me sane when I had a roommate from hell. She was always on my side and could (and still can) make me burst out laughing during some awful times with her amazing sense of humor. She always believed in me and that is something you can't put a price on in a friend. She is one of the smartest people I know which motivates me in ways she could never imagine. Laura is independent not in a way that is condesending, or refuses people's help if they offer. But independent in a good way in that if she doesn't know the answer to something she will search and read, and read and search until she finds it. She doesn't depend on other people to do things for her. That's her dog Buster in the picture. Laura has been volunteering at the Athens Canine Rescue for awhile now, most recently holding the position of adoption coordinator. She had to give up her position because she will be moving to Asheville, NC soon, but will continue her animal resuce work once she is settled. She is one great dog trainer, and I know a lot of families out there are very grateful she worked with their dogs. Yesterday we met up and she took David and I to a park to feed ducks (dang, I wish I had taken pictures of that). David loved it and did not want to leave. I am trying to get as much Laura time in now before she has to go. I will miss living so close to you Laura, and selfishly I want you to stay, but I know you are off to bigger and better things. Just don't get so busy you forget about me, okay?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just made me cry in a good way. :o) I could never forget about you -- I just figure you and David (and Jason if he wants to!) will come visit me in the mountains! I had a blast feeding the ducks too. You have a wonderful little boy -- he is just hilarious, and I think you and Jason might be the best parents I've ever known. BTW, we BOTH had crazy roommates @ NGCSU. Remember my first? Urgh. I remember when you let me use your computer to type my term paper in spring semester that year. I also remember how beautiful your wedding was, and feeling very sad when you wrote about losing your father-in-law. And feeling excited when I found out you were having a baby! Time really does fly! I thank God every day that you are my friend and I will miss you very much in between visits.
--Laura

Anonymous said...

And the first conversation that we ever had involved you lending me a baseball cap for some skit that our residence hall had to do!
--Laura

Andrea said...

Yes, yes I do remember your crazy roommate and I do believe she was crazier than mine. I do also remember about the hat...I think someone has a picture of 3rd dovovan after that skit floating around somewhere...

Anonymous said...

ahhh, old friends are like a good wine...you never tire of them..in my case-EVER. :)
I like your blog, esmerelda. and that buster of yours is a great dog. you are doing some great work with the animals!
and i agree with you about andrea. she's one cool chick whom i have been very blessed to know.

Becky said...

Any person that devotes their time to canine rescue and training is a person after my own heart. Good luck in Asheville, Laura--it's a beautiful place to be! (my grandparents lived there)