Wednesday, March 21, 2007

PSA: Knowledge is Power

Here I go gettin' all serious again. When it comes to being monetarily generous in the past I've been burned. Nothing makes me more angry to find out that I gave money to a person, a cause, or a non-profit organization, only to find out later that I was lied to about what the money was for, or where it was going.

I want to reveal some little known facts about two organizations I've given money to before, but will not anymore. First up, the Susan G. Komen breast cancer Foundation. For the record, my maternal grandmother died of breast cancer six days before I was born. Let's add together the fact that I never got to meet her, plus the fact that I am more likely to develop the disease, which leaves me with nothing other than to say that breast cancer research is certainly something I would consider a worthy cause. But not when the organization stated above gives money to Planned Parenthood, which happens to be the top abortion provider in the U.S. The Susan G. Komen foundation also refuses to admit that there is a link between women who have had an abortion and breast cancer. Next up, March of Dimes. Who doesn't want healthy babies? Well March of Dimes only wants babies, if, and only if they are healthy. They encourage prenatal screening for birth defects to which the only "treatment" is abortion. This reminds me of someone I know of who found out her son had down syndrome before he was born. Her insurance company fought with her over the medical care of her son. Their argument was that they did not have to pay because it was a "pre-existing condition" since she knew of her son's disease before he was born and could have chosen to abort her child. Again, March of Dimes also refuses to admit that there is a link between premature birth/low birth weight deliveries of babies to women who have previously had an abortion.

It is so sad that we have to think twice about our gift giving. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but knowledge is power... My next Public Service Announcement will be happy, I promise ; )

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl- this is a GREAT psa. one you should be very proud for posting. i will not give to march of dimes for the very same reason. i didn't know that about the breast cancer one. my maternal grandma also died of breast cancer. i will definitly NOT be giving to that organization now! Thanks for this!! it needs to be said.

Tara said...

Very glad that you educated me! I had no idea. I guess I need to edit my post a little. Thanks!

Amanda said...

Thanks for the info. I am appalled!!!

Becky said...

It is really sickening to know how few "charities" can be trusted with the dignity of the human race. My biggest pet peeve is when people say "We don't care what we're having, as long as it's healthy." Well, what if it's not?...then what? I don't think a lot of people realize what they're saying here, but it's the cavalier attitudes of organizations like these that make people hear things like this and not bat an eye.

My maternal great aunt was a victim of breast cancer too.

Bethany said...

I can't believe that insurance company said that. I hope that you're friend took the appropriate actions. I'm so riled up over that comment, I can't even think about charities. Pre-existing????? What??? That is insane and every consumer in the country needs to know that insurance companies stance on that issue. I can't even type anyting else.

Anonymous said...

The latest newsletter from Ga Right to Life (GRTL) had some information about the MOD but did not know about the Susan Komen Foundation. Thanks for the info.