Friday, March 02, 2007

Not Kosher

Remember this post about one of our favorite places to eat? This week the Basket Bakery has been all over the news. They are in trouble for using pork and passing it off as vinerschnitzel (veal) (charging customers as if they were buying veal, a much more expensive meat) and also for adding a "secret" ingredient (a preservative) to their "organic" breads. A distruntled former employee brought this to the attention of the media which sparked a surprise health inspection at the Bakery. The next day they were shut down due to rat infestation. Currently they are up and running again. Yeah, I'm pretty much never going there again. Never.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Yucky yuck! Gosh, that is scary to hear about. You eat at a place like that and you wonder what you wound up ingesting in the process. Sadness.

Amanda said...

Ahhhhhh....this hits a nerve with me because I'm terrified of rats. I can't even picture them in my mind without wanting to gag. There was a story on the news about a KFC/Taco Bell (one of those dual restaurants) in NY that had an infestation; it showed footage of giant rats hopping around EVERYWHERE.

It makes you never want to eat out. I think about the fact that I wash my hands at least 15 times a day...I don't think those minimum wage workers gives a rat's @#% what ends up in our food. It could literally be a rat's @#%!

Anonymous said...

LOL, Amanda, my thoughts exactly. One rat (real bad) - but infestation - that's just beyond disgusting!!!

Anonymous said...

totally gnarly, dude.

Tara said...

Yuck! I saw that on the news. Sorry it ruins one of your favorite places.